Yellow Ribbon Program
Eastern Kentucky University is a proud participant in the Yellow Ribbon program, established by the Post-911 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008.
In agreement with the VA, institutions of higher learning in the United States can choose to contribute a specific dollar amount to help fund tuition and fee expenses that exceed the tuition and fee amounts payable under the Post-911 GI Bill®. The VA will match the university’s determined contribution, not to exceed 50% of the difference. At EKU, Yellow Ribbon is designed as a bridge between out-of-state and in-state tuition rates for non-resident, dependent students.
Child transferees of active duty Servicemembers may be eligible if the Servicemember is qualified at the 100 percent rate.
To receive benefits under the Yellow Ribbon Program:
- Your school must agree to participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program
- Your school must have not offered Yellow Ribbon to more than the maximum number of individuals, as stated in their participation agreement
- Your school must certify your enrollment to VA and provide Yellow Ribbon Program information
Dependents of servicemembers may be eligible if the following circumstances apply:
- The servicemember served an aggregate period of 36 months in active duty after Sept. 10, 2001
- The servicemember was honorably discharged from active duty for a service-connected disability and served 30 continuous days after Sept. 10, 2001
- You are a dependent eligible for Transfer of Entitlement under the Post-9/11 GI Bill® based on the service eligibility criteria listed above.
The Yellow Ribbon award benefit from EKU is $2,500 along with a $2500 match in funds from the Department of Defense, per semester, for the upcoming Fall and Spring semesters. Yellow Ribbon benefits are not available during the Summer semester.
This benefit is awarded solely for the designated academic year (i.e. Fall 2015, Spring 2016). Students must reapply for Yellow Ribbon benefits each year, beginning no earlier than January 5 of the applicable academic year. For example, Yellow Ribbon applications for Fall 2015 & Spring 2016 will be accepted beginning on Jan 5, 2015.
Eligibility of the benefit for the previous academic year does not guarantee benefit for the subsequent academic year. Funds are limited, therefore eligible students will be funded in the order that they apply until available funds are exhausted.
Yellow Ribbon benefits, if awarded, are available to undergraduate students for a maximum of eight semesters, and to graduate students for a maximum of four semesters. Please be advised that this benefit (up to $10, 000 per year, does count as part of your overall financial aid package, and as such, may reduce other aid eligibility.
To apply for Yellow Ribbon, please complete the form submission. Students will be notified of award via their EKU Email.