Active Duty Student Checklist
1. Apply to EKU
Be sure to identify yourself as Active Duty on your application; this will waive the admission fee for all Undergraduate applicants. Graduate student admission fees will be waived starting Fall 2020.
If you have already paid the fee, please contact our office at EKUVeteransAffairs@eku.edu, and include your full name and EKU student ID number to receive a full refund.
2. Request official copies of any transcripts
Request official copies of transcripts from your high school or any college where you have taken courses. High school transcripts are only required if you have completed less than 24 civilian college hours.
If you haven't taken an ACT or SAT, you also have the option to take a placement test through the EKU Academic Readiness Office. This service is free for veteran and military students.
Credit by Exam from DANTES and CLEP
EKU also accepts credit by exam from DANTES and CLEP, which is a great way to earn academic credit for what you know. To learn more about exams accepted by EKU, click on the exam links above, or contact the EKU Academic Readiness Office.
4. Request your Joint Service Transcript
To receive credit for your military service, you must submit a Joint Services Transcript (JST). Visit the JST website, and request for your transcript to be sent to EKU electronically. Air Force veterans and servicemembers should click HERE to request their Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) transcript to receive military credit. For more information, contact EKUVeteransAffairs@eku.edu.
5. Claim Your Active Duty Rate
Eastern Kentucky University is proud to offer reduced online tuition rates of $250 per credit hour for undergraduate courses and $325 for graduate courses* to all service members currently serving on Active Duty (defined as on federal orders for 180 days or greater) utilizing Federal Tuition Assistance.
If you have questions regarding your eligibility for the Active Duty Rate, please call our office at 859-622-2345 or email EKUVeteransAffairs@eku.edu
*Note: Regular online tuition rates apply to the following programs: Master of Science in Nursing, Doctorate in Nursing Practice, and Doctorate in Occupational Therapy.
How to claim your Active Duty Military Rate:
- Open Chrome or Internet Explorer and visit https://scra.dmdc.osd.mil/scra/#/single-record.
- Enter your information to create a free account.
- Provide the information requested on the "Single Record Request" tab to obtain a report certifying active duty status.** (Only enter the required information designated by the red asterisks - Name, DOB, SS#)
- Submit your Certificate of Active Duty Status to the Office of Military & Veteran Affairs at EKUVeteransAffairs@eku.edu. Please include your EKU Student ID #.
Important Information for Students!
- All students (including continuing and returning) must provide a Certificate of Active Duty Status at the beginning of each academic year.
- Certificates must be dated within 30 days of the date they are submitted.
- Students must submit the Certificate of Active Duty Status prior to the Add/Drop deadline in the first term of each subsequent academic year. Please go to Colonels Compass for Add/Drop deadlines based upon your registered terms.
- Certificates of Active Duty may be submitted for subsequent academic years after August 1.
- The Active Duty Military Rate cannot be applied retroactively.
- Students falling under Title 10 or Title 32 will need to submit a copy of their federal active duty orders, indicating active duty service of at least 180 days, in order to qualify for the online Active Duty Military Rate.
6. Apply for Federal Tuition Assistance
Each branch of service has its own rules and procedures regarding Tuition Assistance, but service members may be eligible for up to $4,000 in educational benefits per year. These funds are paid directly to the university to be applied towards tuition expenses.
If the cost of tuition exceeds the cap for TA, service members may be eligible to use VA education benefits for out-of-pocket costs.
Military.com explains each service's TA program and provides links to each service's TA websites:
Army or Activated Guard/Reserves (AGR): www.goarmyed.com
Air Force: https://afvec.us.af.mil/afvec/Home.aspx
Marine Corps: https://www.navycollege.navy.mil
7. Submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
We highly recommend you fill out your FASFA as soon as possible. Your Federal TA/VA education benefits are completely separate from Financial Aid, so we encourage you to go online now and fill out your FASFA. The FAFSA determines students' eligibility for grants and/or loans.
Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online (EKU Federal School Code: 001963)
8. Apply for VA Education Benefits (if applicable)
You can apply for VA education benefits HERE.
If you have questions about your VA education benefits or any other questions you may contact them at:
VA Regional Office
Telephone: (888) 442-4551
Once received from the VA, submit a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility to EKUVeteransAffairs@eku.edu
9. Submit your Course Enrollment Form (only if using VA Education Benefits)
After you are advised and registered for classes, you must complete the Course Enrollment Form.
This form allows us to certify you for your VA educational benefits. Please note the following:
- You must complete a Course Enrollment Form each semester after registering for classes. If you do not complete the Course Enrollment form, the neither you nor the school will receive funding.
- If you change your major, you must complete a new Change of Program form (VA Form 22-1995) before the semester starts.
- If you add, drop, or change a class after you have submitted your initial Course Enrollment Form, you must submit a new Course Enrollment Form immediately.