Active Duty Student Checklist
1. Apply to EKU
Be sure to identify yourself as Active Duty on your application! This waives the admission fee for all undergraduate and graduate students.
2. Request your Joint Services Transcript
To receive credit for your military service, you must submit a Joint Services Transcript (JST). Visit the JST website, and request for your transcript to be sent to EKU electronically. If you get an error screen when you click the link, click "Advanced" at the bottom and click "Proceed to Website."
Explore the VETS|Ready Opportunity Portal to receive an unofficial report of what credits you may receive for military training/experience!
Air Force trainings/occupations have not been evaluated for military transfer credit. Since the Community College of the Air Force (CCAF), Air Force Institute of Technology (AFIT) and Air University Registrar are regionally accredited schools, veterans and service members from these schools will need to request their transcripts for evaluation of any prior learning credit.
For more information/assistance, contact EKUVeteransAffairs@eku.edu.
3. Reduced Active Duty Rate
Eastern Kentucky University is proud to offer reduced online tuition rates of $250 per credit hour for undergraduate courses and $325 for graduate courses* to eligible service members.
Some restrictions apply; if you have questions regarding your eligibility for the Active Duty Rate, please call our office at 859-622-2345 or email EKUVeteransAffairs@eku.edu
*Note: Regular online tuition rates apply to the following programs: Master of Science in Nursing, Doctorate in Nursing Practice, and Doctorate in Occupational Therapy.
How to claim your Active Duty Military Rate:
- Open Chrome or Internet Explorer and visit https://scra.dmdc.osd.mil/scra/#/single-record.
- Enter your information to create a free account.
- Provide the information requested on the "Single Record Request" tab to obtain a report certifying active duty status.** (Only enter the required information designated by the red asterisks - Name, DOB, SS#)
- Submit your Certificate of Active Duty Status to the Office of Military & Veteran Affairs at EKUVeteransAffairs@eku.edu. Please include your EKU Student ID #.
- Students falling under Title 10 or Title 32 will need to submit a copy of their federal active duty orders, indicating active duty service of at least 180 days, in order to qualify for the online Active Duty Military Rate.
Important Information for Students!
- All students (including continuing and returning) must provide a Certificate of Active Duty Status prior to the beginning of each academic year, after August 1.
- Students must submit the Certificate of Active Duty Status prior to the Add/Drop deadline in the first term of each subsequent academic year. Please go to Colonels Compass for Add/Drop deadlines based upon your registered terms.
- The Active Duty Military Rate cannot be applied retroactively.
4. Apply for Federal Tuition Assistance
Each branch of service has its own rules and procedures regarding Tuition Assistance, but service members may be eligible for up to $4,000 in educational benefits per year. These funds are paid directly to the university to be applied towards tuition expenses.
If the cost of tuition exceeds the cap for TA, service members may be eligible to use VA education benefits for out-of-pocket costs.
Military.com explains each service's TA program and provides links to each service's TA websites:
Army or Activated Guard/Reserves (AGR): https://www.armyignited.com/ (The new Army IgnitEd platform will go live on March 15, 2021)
Air Force: https://afvec.us.af.mil/afvec/public/welcome
Coast Guard: https://www.navycollege.navy.mil/
Marine Corps: https://www.navycollege.navy.mil