Skip to main content

Chapter 1607 Financial Aid for Veterans

What is Chapter 1607?

  • Chapter 1607 makes certain individuals activated after September 11, 2001 either eligible for education benefits or eligible for increased benefits.
  • An eligible reservist may get education benefits while in an approved training program.
  • For more information, please visit

You are eligible if:

  • You served on active duty on or after September 11, 2001 under Title 10 U.S. Code for a contingency operation for 90 consecutive days or more.
  • You serve as a member of the National Guard under section 502(f), Title 32 U.S.C. for 90 consecutive days when authorized by the President or Secretary of Defense for a national emergency that is supported by federal funds.
  • You reach the 90-day point whether or not you are currently on active duty.
  • You are disabled and are injured or have an illness or disease incurred or aggravated in the line of duty and are released from active duty before completing 90 consecutive days.
  • The DoD identifies contingency operations that qualify for benefits under Chapter 1607.


  1. There is no fixed ending date (delimiting period).
  2. You may use your benefits under Chapter 1607 as long as you remain within your component.
  3. Benefits must be terminated if you leave the Reserves or participate in a ROTC program under Title 10 Section 2107.
  4. There is one exception: If you are separated from the Ready Reserve for a disability which was not the result of your own willful misconduct, you are entitled to Chapter 1607 benefits for 10 years after the date of entitlement.

How much does VA pay?

The educational assistance allowance payable under Chapter 1607 is a percentage of the Chapter 30 3-year rate based on the number of continuous days served on active duty:

Time Reserve Member
Serves on Active Duty
Percentage of Ch 30
(3-Year Rate)
Full-Time Rate
(Effective Oct. 1, 2010)
90 days but less than one year
One year but less than two years
Two years or more

Reduced rates will apply for correspondence, flight, apprenticeship/OJT and licensing and certification training.

How do I apply?

  1. Fill out VA Form 22-1990, Application for Education Benefits.
  2. Submit evidence of qualifying service such as:
    • Discharge from Military Service (DD Form 214)
    • Copies of orders to active duty
  3. If you already filed a claim for Education benefits, you do not need to file a new application form:
    Submit a "Request for Change of Program or place or Training (VA Form 22-1995).
  4. Annotate "Chapter 1607" prominently on all correspondence and documents.

For more information, please visit

Open /*deleted href=#openmobile*/