Military Child Student Checklist
1. Apply to EKU
Be sure to identify yourself as a Military Child on your application; this will waive the admission fee.
2. Apply for VA Educational Benefits (if eligible) & Submit Your Certificate of Eligibility (COE)
As a Military Dependent, you may be eligible for certain VA educational benefits or have VA educational benefits transferred to you. You can apply for VA education benefits at www.vets.gov.
You can also the St. Louis Regional Processing Office at 888-442-4551.
Note: Once you have applied for benefits and received your Certificate of Eligibility (COE), immediately send a copy to EKUVeteransAffairs@eku.edu.
More information can be found at: https://benefits.va.gov/gibill/fgib/transition_act.asp
3. Submit your Course Enrollment Form (CEF)*
*Only if using VA Education Benefits
After you are advised and registered for classes, you must complete the Course Enrollment Form.
This form is your written request to use your VA educational benefits. Please note:
- You must complete a Course Enrollment Form each semester after registering for classes.
- If you add, drop, or change a class after you have submitted your initial Course Enrollment Form, you must submit a new Course Enrollment Form immediately.
- If you change your major, you must complete a new Change of Program form (VA Form 22-1995) before the semester starts.
Your Course Enrollment form (CEF) is due by the first day of the term. Failure to submit your CEF by this deadline may result in a delay of benefits or other consequences. More information can be found at: https://benefits.va.gov/gibill/fgib/transition_act.asp
4. Apply for the Kentucky Department of Veterans Affairs (KDVA) Waiver (if applicable)
A waiver of tuition is an education benefit provided by the Commonwealth of Kentucky in recognition of military service of certain Kentucky veterans. The tuition waiver is provided for children, stepchildren, adopted children, spouses, and un-remarried widows & widowers. An approved tuition waiver means a student may attend any two-year, four-year or vocational technical schools that are operated and funded by the Kentucky Department of Education.
More information regarding the KDVA Tuition Waiver and application can be found here.