Skip to main content

Military Dependent Checklist

Please review this comprehensive checklist to apply for VA benefits, the Kentucky Department of Veterans Affairs Tuition Waiver, and other helpful resources and information

Questions?  Ask EKU VETS!

1. Apply to EKU

2. Apply for VA Education Benefits

Chapter 33 Post-9/11 Transfer of Benefits

The Post 9/11 GI Bill®, effective August 1, 2009, allows Servicemembers to transfer all or some unused benefits to their spouses or dependent children.  The request to transfer unused GI Bill® benefits to eligible dependents must be completed while serving as an active member of the Armed Forces.

For information on eligibility and how to apply click HERE

Chapter 35 Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance (DEA) Program

The Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance (DEA) Program provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents and spouses of veterans who are permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition or of veterans who died while serving on active duty or as a result of a service-related condition.

For information on eligibility and how to apply click HERE

3. Submit Your Course Enrollment Form & Upload your VA Certificate of Eligibility

After you registered for classes please submit your Course Enrollment Form. This form is your written request to use your VA educational benefit.  

Note:  You must submit a Course Enrollment Form each semester after you register for classes.  It only has to be submitted once, even if your schedule changes.

Once you have applied for benefits and received your Certificate of Eligibility, upload HERE

Note:  For CH 35 Recipients, we will need your Sponsor's (Veteran's) Social Security Number.  Please call us at 859-622-2345 to provide that information and have your EKU 901# available.

4.  Apply for the Kentucky Department of Veterans Affairs (KDVA) Waiver (if applicable)

The KDVA Tuition Waiver is an education benefit provided by the Commonwealth of Kentucky in recognition of military service of certain Kentucky veterans. The tuition waiver is provided for children, stepchildren, adopted children, spouses, and un-remarried widows & widowers. An approved tuition waiver means a student may attend any two-year, four-year or vocational technical schools that are operated and funded by the Kentucky Department of Education.

More information regarding the KDVA Tuition Waiver and application can be found HERE. Applications can be emailed to

Please note that KDVA Waivers must be submitted to OMVA prior to the add/drop date of the semester the student is enrolled and cannot be applied retroactively.  KDVA Waivers received after the first day of classes will be applied for subsequent semesters the student is enrolled and/or the after the date the waiver is dated, whichever comes first.

If you already have a KDVA Tuition Waiver from another school, the School Certifying Official should send a copy of the KDVA Tuition Waiver as well as as the number of months used to

For Military Spouses Only:

Apply for My Career Advancement Account Scholarship (MyCAA)

MyCAA is a workforce development program that provides up to $4,000 in financial assistance to eligible military spouses for pursue or maintain a license, certification or associate's degree necessary to gain employment in an occupation or career field.

More information can be found at

Reduced Military Spouse Rate

Eastern Kentucky University is proud to offer a reduced tuition rate of $250 per credit hour for undergraduate courses* to eligible spouses of active service members who are not utilizing any other form of federal or state military education entitlement other than Tuition Assistance (TA) or My Career Advancement Account Scholarship (MyCAA).

*The following programs are not eligible for the Reduced Military Spouse Rate:  BS in Nursing and BS in Occupational Therapy.

To verify your military spouse status, please follow the steps below.

Step 1 for Spouse:

  1. Click HERE to log into MilConnect.
  2. Once logged in, click on "Obtain proof of health coverage."
  3. In the section titled eCorrespondence, click the tab labeled "Proof of Coverage."
  4. Click the empty box next to your name, and click "Generate PDF." This will generate your TRICARE Enrollment letter.  

Step 2 for Servicemember:

  1. Click HERE to generate your Certificate of Active Duty Status.
  2. If you are currently serving in the National Guard/Reserve, and the SCRA certificate does not generate for you, you can submit a copy of your Title 10/32 Orders in place of the Certificate of Active Duty Status.

Step 3 for Spouse:

Upload both documents HERE 

NOTE: Proof of military spouse status must be resubmitted at the beginning of each academic year prior to the Add/Drop date and dated within 30 days of the beginning of the term.  This rate cannot be applied retroactively.


Open /*deleted href=#openmobile*/