Military Dependents (Spouses and Children)
Military Dependent Student Checklist
1. Apply to EKU
Be sure to identify yourself as a Military Dependent (Spouse or Child) on your application; this will waive the admission fee.
If you have already paid the fee, please contact our office at EKUVeteransAffairs@eku.edu, and include your full name and EKU student ID number to receive a full refund.
2. Request official copies of any transcripts
Request official copies of transcripts from your high school or any college where you have taken courses. High school transcripts are only required if you have completed less than 24 civilian college hours.
If you haven't taken an ACT or SAT, you also have the option to take a placement test through the EKU Academic Readiness Office. This service is free for veteran and military students.
Credit by Exam from DANTES and CLEP
EKU also accepts credit by exam from DANTES and CLEP, which is a great way to earn academic credit for what you know. To learn more about exams accepted by EKU, click on the exam links above, or contact the EKU Academic Readiness Office.
4. Apply for VA Education Benefits
As a Military Dependent, you may be eligible for certain VA educational benefits or have VA educational benefits transferred to you. You can apply for VA education benefits at www.vets.gov.
If you have questions about your VA education benefits for any other questions you may contact the VA at:
VA Regional Office
Telephone: (888) 442-4551
Once received from the VA, submit a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility to EKUVeteransAffairs@eku.edu
5. Submit your Course Enrollment Form (only if using VA Education Benefits)
After you are advised and registered for classes, you must complete the Course Enrollment Form.
This form allows us to certify you for your VA educational benefits. Please note the following:
- You must complete a Course Enrollment Form each semester after registering for classes. If you do not complete the Course Enrollment form, the neither you nor the school will receive funding.
- If you change your major, you must complete a new Change of Program form (VA Form 22-1995) before the semester starts.
- If you add, drop, or change a class after you have submitted your initial Course Enrollment Form, you must submit a new Course Enrollment Form immediately.
6. Apply for the Kentucky Department of Veterans Affairs (KDVA) Waiver (if applicable)
A waiver of tuition is an education benefit provided by the Commonwealth of Kentucky in recognition of military service of certain Kentucky veterans. The tuition waiver is provided for children, stepchildren, adopted children, spouses, and un-remarried widows & widowers. An approved tuition waiver means a student may attend any two-year, four-year or vocational technical schools that are operated and funded by the Kentucky Department of Education.
More information regarding the KDVA Tuition Waiver can be found at https://veterans.ky.gov/Pages/HidPages/TuitionWaiver.aspx