Skip to main content

Spouses & Dependents

Spouse Education Benefits - MyCAA

Effective October 25, 2010: The MyCAA program is open to all eligible spouses under new program guidelines. All spouses, including those currently participating, will be subject to new eligibility criteria and revised funding limits llisted below.

ELigibility is limited to spouse of active duty Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine service members, or activated Reserve member in pay grades E1-E5, W1-W2, or O1-O2.

If the spouse of National Guard and/or AGR member, the sponsor must be on federal Title 10 active duty orders as reported in DEERS. Spouses of Guard/Reserve members in an Alert, Transition Assistance, or Post Deployment status are not eligible.

MyCAA accounts will be limited to the new $4,000 maximum benefit with a $2000 fiscal year cap. Waivers to the fiscal year cap will be available for spouses pursuing licensure or certification with a cost that exceeds the $2,000 fiscal year cap up to the total maximum assistance of $4,000.

Spouses must complete their program of study within three years from the start date of the first course. Funding is limited to only Associate’s degrees, certifications and licensure programs.  


Post 9-11 Transfer of Eligibility (DOD)

As of August 2009, the option now exists for career service members to transfer some or all of their Post 9-11 GI Bill® benefits to their dependents.  Before a dependent can apply for these benefits, the service member must apply with the Department of Defense for a transfer of eligibility (TEB). You can complete the application online with DOD (look under the Related Links).

After you have submitted your request to transfer benefits you will need to track the status of your request by returning to the TEB web site. After the status of your request is changed to ‘approved’ the TEB site will automatically transfer the data to the VA. At this point, the family member submits a VA Form 22-1990e to the VA to obtain a certificate of eligibility to the VA. This can be done online or you can mail in the paper copy to the VA Regional Office.

VA Regional Office
P.O. Box 66830
St. Louis, MO 63166-6830

Toll-Free (888) 442-4551

EKU’s VA Certifying Official (Burnam House at 317 Lancaster Avenue next door to Irvine McDowell Park) will need a copy of the certificate along with a Course Enrollment Form which can be done online. If you have not received your certificate and school is about to start, go ahead and ask the VA Certifying Official to submit the enrollment certification to the VA. Tuition funds will be sent directly from the VA to the school. Children using transferred benefits will receive the monthly living stipend (BAH) and the book allowance. Spouses using transferred benefits will only receive the monthly living stipend and the book allowance if the service member is no longer on active duty.

In-State Tuition

Regardless of where you are from, if you are stationed in Kentucky, as of July 2009, members of the Armed Forces serving on active duty for a period of more than 30 days will receive in-state tuition. This also applies to the spouse and dependent children of the service member. House Resolution 4137 ensures that neither the service member nor their families are penalized for relocating due to military service. If you are currently serving in Kentucky or if your permanent duty station or home of record is Kentucky, you will receive in-state tuition as long as you remain continuously enrolled, even if you move out of state. 

Dependents’ Education Assistance (DEA)

The DEA program (Chapter 35) provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents and survivors of certain veterans.  To be eligible for these benefits you must be the son, daughter, or spouse of: 

A veteran who died or is permanently and totally disabled as the result of a service-connected disability. The disability must arise out of active service in the Armed Forces.

A veteran who died from any cause while such service-connected disability was in existence. A servicemember forcibly detained or interned in line of duty by a foreign government or power. A servicemember who is hospitalized or receiving outpatient treatment for a service connected permanent and total disability and is likely to be discharged for that disability. This change is effective December 23, 2006.

Paper Application  To apply online

Kentucky Tuition Waiver

DEA recipients may also be eligible for a tuition waiver under the state waiver of tuition KRS 164 statute.  For more information check out the Kentucky Department of Veterans Affairs website or view this powerpoint decision-making chart to help determine eligibility. 

Off-Campus Housing


Open /*deleted href=#openmobile*/