KY National Guard/Reservist Student Checklist
1. Apply to EKU
Be sure to identify yourself as Guard/Reservist on the application. This will waive the undergraduate/graduate admission fee.
2. Request your Joint Services Transcript
To receive credit for your military service, you must submit a Joint Services Transcript (JST). Visit the JST website, and request for your transcript to be sent to EKU electronically. If you get an error screen when you click the link, click "Advanced" at the bottom and click "Proceed to Website."
Explore the VETS|Ready Opportunity Portal to receive an unofficial report of what credits you may receive for military training/experience!
Air Force trainings/occupations have not been evaluated for military transfer credit. Since the Community College of the Air Force (CCAF), Air Force Institute of Technology (AFIT) and Air University Registrar are regionally accredited schools, veterans and service members from these schools will need to request their transcripts for evaluation of any prior learning credit.
For more information/assistance, contact EKUVeteransAffairs@eku.edu.
3. Request Federal or State Tuition Assistance
Army Reservists/National Guard on Federal Active Duty: https://www.armyignited.com/ (The new Army IgnitEd platform will go live on March 8, 2021)
Army Reservists/National Guard requesting State Tuition Assistance (TA): https://ky.ngb.army.mil/tuitionstudent/
Note: Deadlines for requesting State TA are 1 October (Spring) and 1 April (Summer/Fall)
For Reservists/Guard in other service branches or Air National Guard members, visit Military.com’s TA Overview for information in requesting TA.
4. Apply for VA Educational Benefits (if eligible) & Submit Your Certificate of Eligibility (COE)
You can also the St. Louis Regional Processing Office at 888-442-4551.
Note: Once you have applied for benefits and received your Certificate of Eligibility (COE), immediately send a copy to EKUVeteransAffairs@eku.edu. Failure to provide a copy of your COE by the first day of the term may result in a delay of benefits or other consequences. More information can be found at: https://benefits.va.gov/gibill/fgib/transition_act.asp
5. Submit your Course Enrollment Form (CEF) - Only if using VA Education Benefits
After you are advised and registered for classes, you must complete the Course Enrollment Form.
This form is your written request to use your VA educational benefits. Please note:
- You must complete a Course Enrollment Form each semester after registering for classes.
- If you add, drop, or change a class after you have submitted your initial Course Enrollment Form, you must submit a new Course Enrollment Form immediately.
- If you change your major, you must complete a new Change of Program form (VA Form 22-1995) before the semester starts.