Skip to main content

Veteran Student Checklist

1. Apply to EKU

Be sure to identify yourself as a Veteran on your application; this will waive the admission fee for all Undergraduate applicants.  Graduate student admission fees will be waived starting Fall 2020. 

If you have already paid the fee, please contact our office at, and include your full name and EKU student ID number to receive a full refund.

2. Request official copies of any transcripts

Request official copies of transcripts from your high school or any college where you have previously taken courses. (Note: Students with more than 24 prior civilian college credits are not required to submit their high school transcript.)

3.  Request your ACT or SAT scores

If you haven't taken an ACT or SAT, you also have the option to take a placement test through the EKU Academic Readiness Office.  This service is free for veteran and military students.

4. Apply for VA Education Benefits

You can apply for VA education benefits HERE.

If you have questions about your VA education benefits or any other questions you may contact them at:

VA Regional Office
Telephone: (888) 442-4551

Once received from the VA, submit a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility to

Have questions about your VA Education Benefits?  Contact our VetSuccess on Campus Counselor at, at at 502-432-9725 to discuss your questions.

5. Submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

We highly recommend you fill out your FASFA as soon as possible. Your VA benefits are completely separate from Financial Aid, so we encourage you to go online now and fill out your FASFA.  The FAFSA determines students' eligibility for grants and/or loans.

6. Request your Joint Service Transcript

To receive credit for your military service, you must submit a Joint Services Transcript (JST). Visit the JST website, and request for your transcript to be sent to EKU electronically. Air Force veterans and servicemembers should click HERE to request their Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) transcript to receive military credit.  For more information, contact

Credit by Exam from DANTES and CLEP

EKU also accepts credit by exam from DANTES and CLEP, which is a great way to earn academic credit for what you know.  To learn more about exams accepted by EKU, click on the exam links above, or contact the EKU Academic Readiness Office

7. Submit your Course Enrollment Form

After you are advised and registered for classes, you must complete the Course Enrollment Form.  

This form is required to certify you for your VA educational benefits.  Please note:

  • You must complete a Course Enrollment Form each semester after registering for classes. If you do not complete the Course Enrollment form, the neither you nor the school will receive funding. 
  • If you add, drop, or change a class after you have submitted your initial Course Enrollment Form, you must submit a new Course Enrollment Form immediately.
Open /*deleted href=#openmobile*/