Veteran Student Checklist
1. Apply to EKU
Be sure to identify yourself as a Veteran on your application; this will waive the admission fee for all Undergraduate applicants.
If you have already paid the fee, please contact our office at EKUVeteransAffairs@eku.edu, and include your full name and EKU student ID number to receive a full refund.
2. Request official copies of any transcripts
Request official copies of transcripts from your high school or any college where you have previously taken courses. (Note: Students with more than 24 prior civilian college credits are not required to submit their high school transcript.)
If you haven't taken an ACT or SAT, you also have the option to take a placement test through the EKU Academic Readiness Office. This service is free for veteran and military students.
4. Apply for VA Education Benefits
If you have questions about your VA education benefits or any other questions you may contact them at:
VA Regional Office
Telephone: (888) 442-4551
Once received from the VA, submit a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility to EKUVeteransAffairs@eku.edu.
5. Submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
We highly recommend you fill out your FASFA as soon as possible. Your VA benefits are completely separate from Financial Aid, so we encourage you to go online now and fill out your FASFA. The FAFSA determines students' eligibility for grants and/or loans.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online (EKU Federal School Code: 001963)
- EKU Financial Aid/FAFSA Information
6. Request your Joint Service Transcript
To receive credit for your military service, you must submit a Joint Services Transcript (JST). Visit the JST website, and request for your transcript to be sent to EKU electronically. Air Force veterans and servicemembers should click HERE to request their Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) transcript to receive military credit. For more information, contact EKUVeteransAffairs@eku.edu.
Credit by Exam from DANTES and CLEP
EKU also accepts credit by exam from DANTES and CLEP, which is a great way to earn academic credit for what you know. To learn more about exams accepted by EKU, click on the exam links above, or contact the EKU Academic Readiness Office.
7. Submit your Course Enrollment Form
After you are advised and registered for classes, you must complete the Course Enrollment Form.
This form is required to certify you for your VA educational benefits. Please note:
- You must complete a Course Enrollment Form each semester after registering for classes. If you do not complete the Course Enrollment form, the neither you nor the school will receive funding.
- If you add, drop, or change a class after you have submitted your initial Course Enrollment Form, you must submit a new Course Enrollment Form immediately.