Reservist/National Guard Student Checklist
1. Apply to EKU
Be sure to identify yourself as Reservist or Guard on your application; this will waive the admission fee for all Undergraduate applicants. Graduate student admission fees will be waived starting Fall 2020.
If you have already paid the fee, please contact our office at EKUVeteransAffairs@eku.edu, and include your full name and EKU student ID number to receive a full refund.
2. Request official copies of any transcripts
Request official copies of transcripts from your high school or any college where you have taken courses. High school transcripts are only required if you have completed less than 24 civilian college hours.
If you haven't taken an ACT or SAT, you also have the option to take a placement test through the EKU Academic Readiness Office. This service is free for veteran and military students.
Credit by Exam from DANTES and CLEP
EKU also accepts credit by exam from DANTES and CLEP, which is a great way to earn academic credit for what you know. To learn more about exams accepted by EKU, click on the exam links above, or contact the EKU Academic Readiness Office.
4. Request your Joint Service Transcript
To receive credit for your military service, you must submit a Joint Services Transcript (JST). Visit the JST website, and request for your transcript to be sent to EKU electronically. Air Force veterans and servicemembers should click HERE to request their Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) transcript to receive military credit. For more information, contact EKUVeteransAffairs@eku.edu.
5. Request Federal or State Tuition Assistance
Army Reservists/National Guard on Federal Active Duty: GoArmyEd.com
Army Reservists/National Guard requesting State Tuition Assistance (TA): https://ky.ngb.army.mil/tuitionstudent/
Note: Deadlines for requesting State TA are 1 October (Spring) and 1 April (Summer/Fall)
For Reservists/Guard in other service branches or Air National Guard members, visit Military.com’s TA Overview for information in requesting TA.
6. Apply for VA Educational Benefits (if applicable)
As a drilling or former reservist, you may be eligible for VA education benefits. You can apply for VA education benefits at www.vets.gov.
If you have questions about VA educational benefits or any other questions you may contact them at:
VA Regional Office
Telephone: (888) 442-4551
Once received from the VA, submit a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility to EKUVeteransAffairs@eku.edu.
Have questions about your VA Education Benefits? Contact our VetSuccess on Campus Counselor at StevenC.Johnson@va.gov, at at 502-432-9725 to discuss your questions.
7. Submit your Course Enrollment Form (only if using VA Education Benefits)
After you are advised and registered for classes, you must complete the Course Enrollment Form.
This form allows us to certify you for your VA educational benefits. Please note the following:
- You must complete a Course Enrollment Form each semester after registering for classes. If you do not complete the Course Enrollment form, the neither you nor the school will receive funding.
- If you change your major, you must complete a new Change of Program form (VA Form 22-1995) before the semester starts.
- If you add, drop, or change a class after you have submitted your initial Course Enrollment Form, you must submit a new Course Enrollment Form immediately.