Military Spouse Student Checklist
1. Apply to EKU
Be sure to identify yourself as a Military Spouse on your application. This waives any admission fees.
2. Apply for VA Educational Benefits (if eligible) & Submit Your Certificate of Eligibility (COE)
As a Military Spouse, you may be eligible for certain VA educational benefits or have VA educational benefits transferred to you. You can apply for VA education benefits at www.vets.gov.
Have questions about your VA Education Benefits or not sure how to apply? Contact our VetSuccess on Campus Counselor at StevenC.Johnson@va.gov or 502-432-9725. He is here to help you!
You can also the St. Louis Regional Processing Office at 888-442-4551.
Note: Once you have applied for benefits and received your Certificate of Eligibility (COE), immediately send a copy to EKUVETS@eku.edu.
For more info go to https://benefits.va.gov/gibill/fgib/transition_act.asp
3. Submit your Course Enrollment Form (CEF)*
*Only if using VA Education Benefits
After you are advised and registered for classes, you must complete the Course Enrollment Form.
This form is your written request to use your VA educational benefits. Please note:
- You must complete a Course Enrollment Form each semester after registering for classes.
- If you add, drop, or change a class after you have submitted your initial Course Enrollment Form, you must submit a new Course Enrollment Form immediately.
- If you change your major, you must complete a new Change of Program form (VA Form 22-1995) before the semester starts.
3. Apply for My Career Advancement Account Scholarship (MyCAA) (if applicable)
MyCAA is a workforce development program that provides up to $4,000 in financial assistance to eligible military spouses for pursue or maintain a license, certification or associate's degree necessary to gain employment in an occupation or career field.
More information can be found at https://mycaa.militaryonesource.mil/mycaa/
4. Apply for the Kentucky Department of Veterans Affairs (KDVA) Waiver (if applicable)
A waiver of tuition is an education benefit provided by the Commonwealth of Kentucky in recognition of military service of certain Kentucky veterans. The tuition waiver is provided for children, stepchildren, adopted children, spouses, and un-remarried widows & widowers. An approved tuition waiver means a student may attend any two-year, four-year or vocational technical schools that are operated and funded by the Kentucky Department of Education.
Please note that KDVA Waivers must be submitted to OMVA prior to the add/drop date of the semester the student is enrolled and cannot be applied retroactively. KDVA Waivers received after the first day of classes will be applied for subsequent semesters the student is enrolled and/or the after the date the waiver is dated, whichever comes first.
Questions? Call us at 859-622-2345 or email EKUVets@eku.edu.
5. Reduced Spouse Rate
Eastern Kentucky University is proud to offer a reduced tuition rate of $250 per credit hour for undergraduate courses* to eligible spouses of active service members who are not utilizing any other form of federal or state military education entitlement other than Tuition Assistance (TA) or My Career Advancement Account Scholarship (MyCAA).
*The following programs are not eligible for the Reduced Military Spouse Rate: BS in Nursing and BS in Occupational Therapy.
To verify your military spouse status, please follow the steps below.
Step 1 for Spouse:
- Click HERE to log into MilConnect.
- Once logged in, click on "Obtain proof of health coverage."
- In the section titled eCorrespondence, click the tab labeled "Proof of Coverage."
- Click the empty box next to your name, and click "Generate PDF." This will generate your TRICARE Enrollment letter.
Step 2 for Servicemember:
- Click HERE to generate your Certificate of Active Duty Status.
- If you are currently serving in the National Guard/Reserve, and the SCRA certificate does not generate for you, you can submit a copy of your Title 10/32 Orders in place of the Certificate of Active Duty Status.
Step 3 for Spouse:
From your EKU student email, attach your Tricare Enrollment Letter and your spouse's Certificate of Active Duty Status (or Title 10/32 Orders) and submit to EKUVets@eku.edu.
with “Reduced Military Spouse Rate” in the subject line. Be sure to include your EKU ID # in the email.
NOTE: Proof of military spouse status must be resubmitted at the beginning of each semester prior to the Add/Drop date and dated within 30 days of the beginning of the term. This rate cannot be applied retroactively.